Concrete block for house construction was known since a long time ago. In some countries or regions, large concrete blocks are used not only for house construction but also for temple construction. Its lightweight and its capability to block the fire make people more interest to use concrete block for construction. You may be included in one of those people. However before you finally decide to use concrete block as material for your house, you might want to know about the upsides and downsides of concrete block. Let’s check them out.
Generally concrete blocks are made from cement, aggregates like stone or quartz and also water. It can be made solid or hollow with couple cores or voids and it can be made various sizes, standard sizes and large sizes. Concrete blocks have several upsides to make it people’s favorite for construction.
- Strong foundation. If builder assemble concrete block on the right system, concrete blocks can be stronger than any other materials for example poured concrete. Steel reinforcing rod can be filled into the hollow cores or voids inside the blocks to give additional strength of the foundation.
- Unaffected by insects. We all know that wooden based house constructions are vulnerable with insect infestation. We would not find the same problem in concrete block house construction.
- Resist to natural disaster. The strong foundation which concrete block created will resist from hurricane winds and tornado especially if the blocks are filled with steel rods in its cores.
- Resist to fire. After the fires, few evidence are found which show the collapse of concrete block houses. It makes the house owners can avoid the extensive damage if there is fire in their house.
- Unaffected to extreme temperature. We often see poured concrete house cracked and crumbled after it exposed to extreme temperature for a long time. It is rare to see the same problem in concrete block house since it the blocks are highly resistant to extreme temperature.
- Good insulation. Concrete blocks help the owner save energy and money to pay the bills since concrete blocks are good to insulate the cold and heat. Concrete blocks are also good to be soundproof materials.
- Various finishing. Concrete blocks whether in standard size or large sizes are good in accepting various color and stucco. They can be combined with other features too like sliding door or glass windows.
- Water seepage. Since concrete blocks are made with hollow voids, they tend to allow water seepage coming into the room especially if there is high water table. To avoid the problem, combine the blocks with waterproof materials and paints is the best solution.
- Dull look. Large concrete block can be looked so dull and unattractive. You may have a problem if the builder do not have creative ideas to decorate the blocks.
- High cost. In some region, the cost of large concrete blocks can be higher than wood materials.
If you want to choose large concrete blocks as your house construction, you have to think carefully the upside and downside from above. So you won’t be regret using them.
Incoming search terms:
- concrete block house (2)
- building a concrete block house (1)
- Concrete Brick Buildings (1)
- How To Build a Concrete House (1)
- image of a blocks in a house (1)
- large concrete block houses (1)